History, Aims and Objectives of the Trust
Alfreton and District Heritage Trust originated in an idea conceived and initially nurtured by the Rotary Club of Alfreton in 1983. Local social, civic and educational organisations joined together with interested individuals and formed a steering committee from which the society was established. Application was made to the Charity Commission for registration as a charitable Civic Trust and this was granted in late 1984.
The Heritage Centre in Alfreton’s Rodgers Lane Cemetery Chapel has been open since July 3rd 1993. Built in 1891, the Chapel is substantially in its original form. The centre houses an extensive collection of local artefacts, documents and photographs and is open on Sundays from 2pm to 4pm and at other times by appointment.
The Society is established for the public benefit for the following purposes:
- to hold a collection of artefacts in suitable premises reflecting the geography, history, natural history and architecture, environment and traditions of the area
- to educate the public in the area’s geography, history, natural history and architecture
- to secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest in the area
- to stimulate public interest in the are
- to promote civic pride in the area
- to promote research directly connected with the Society’s objectives
- to to-operate with local and all other authorities and organisations having aims similar to those of the Society
- to publish papers, reports and other literature
- to collect information in relation to any place or building of beauty or historic interest within the area
- to hold meetings, lectures and exhibitions and generally educate public opinion
- to acquire by purchase, gift or otherwise, properties, structures or artefacts desirable for preservation
- to encourage the continuance and improvement of the basic traditions of the area